Apartment approvals drive December increase

3 February 2023

The total number of dwellings approved rose 18.5 per cent in December, in seasonally adjusted terms, according to data released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

Daniel Rossi, ABS head of construction statistics, said this rise followed a 8.8 per cent decrease in November 2022.

“The increase in the total number of dwellings approved in December was led by a sharp rise in approvals for private sector dwellings excluding houses (+56.6 per cent). The result was driven by a number of large apartment developments approved in New South Wales and Victoria,” Mr Rossi said.

“Approvals for private sector houses continued to track downwards, falling by 2.3 per cent.”

Across Australia, total dwelling approvals rose in New South Wales (+48.4 per cent), Victoria (+20.7 per cent), Queensland (+8.3 per cent), and Western Australia (+6.4 per cent), while Tasmania (-49.7 per cent), South Australia (-24.6 per cent), recorded decreases.

Approvals for private sector houses were mixed, with increases in Western Australia (+8.2 per cent), Victoria (+0.3 per cent) and Queensland (+0.2 per cent), while South Australia (-7.4 per cent) and New South Wales (-4.2 per cent) fell.

The value of total building approvals rose 3.0 per cent in December, following a 0.6 per cent decrease in November. The value of total residential building approvals rose 6.6 per cent, comprised of a 7.2 per cent increase in new residential building and a 2.7 per cent increase in alterations and additions.

The value of non-residential building approved fell 1.7 per cent, following a 2.2 per cent rise in November.